Federal Construction Contracts
The right to fair wages and working conditions extends to trades workers employed on construction sites under federal contracts, and is guaranteed under the Fair Wages and Hours of Labour Act and Regulations. Whenever contractors bid on federal construction projects, they must agree to meet the conditions defined in this Act and pay the wages established by the Labour Program in support of the Act and its regulations.
- Learn more about the labour conditions contractors must meet to win federal contracts, including:
- fair wages
- hours of work
- non-discriminatory hiring practices
- Find out how the Labour Program and Statistics Canada conduct Construction Industry Wage Rate Surveys to analyse fair wage practices in specific trades and geographic/economic zones.
- Then read further to understand how these wage rate surveys help the Labour Program in developing federal fair wage schedules that are used to set acceptable standards for pay on federal construction sites across the country.
- Review the current fair wage schedules for the construction industry here.